Sunday 15 May 2016

UNF Introduction Week

The first week of classes for Field Studies in Marine Science has come to an end.

As a participant with the University of North Florida cohort, this week consisted of helping to harvest plugs of Spartina alternifolia for marsh restorations and putting our gear to the test. The water shoes I originally brought were actually not suitable for the marsh we were in. The shoes have to protect the ankle, so the tall boots used for open heel fins are more suitable. Thankfully, the university has extra sets of wading boots, and I changed into my water shoes when we went kayaking on the waters of the estuary. As for the rest of my gear, my fins, mask and snorkel are functioning well, and I have proven that I have the physical strength to endure the challenges that snorkelers could face on the open waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment