Sunday 12 June 2016

UWF One more week to go :)

Hey y'all one more week after this I can't believe it's almost over. This week we went to UWF in Pensacola, and I'll tell you what it was a pretty cool town. We studied groundwater discharge at the beach for graduate student Paige's research. The best part of the day was working with the isotope machine, I've never even heard of that type of machine or research so it was really cool learning about it. We also learned about what a healthy creek and poor creek look like during the hike through the forest. I loved hiking through the forest because it was so peaceful walking through the trees. Then on Thursday we did transects on the beach studying the morphology of the dunes and how it connects with the wave activity. I have to say I never once thought about how the two connect when I was at the beach previously, but after learning about it I'll never look at the beach the same, Then Friday was a rough day with the three mile hike in the sand to look at a turtle nest and where the gulf meets the freshwater. For me I didn't get to see the end of the hike because of my allergy to the sun flared up and I had to go back to the van and get out of the sun. But other than that little part the hike was still pretty cool getting to see a turtle nest and the tracks of the turtle leading up to it. My favorite part was the EPA tour, learning about how they breed and keep a reserve stock of Sheephead Minnows along with the African Claw Frog. And how they put women hormones into the frog to get it to reproduce every few months. How crazy right?! Well I'm off to do my last week at UNF. I'll keep y'all posted on what happens this week!





No comments:

Post a Comment